Saturday, February 6, 2010

No more excuses....

I've decided that I will no longer be making excuses for myself. I am tired of sitting around complaining about my body and being close to tears in dressing rooms when I try on clothes. If I don't do anything about it, then I shouldn't complain right?
Lately, I have been very inspired by some friends and co-workers. They are all busy people with jobs and families and if they can find time in their day to work out and take care of themselves then why can't I? My mom is a hard core business woman who works 100+ hours a week and she still finds time to go for her walks! Even when she is on business trips, she takes her sneakers and sweat pants and heads for the hotel gym while she's there. So, I know I can do it, its just a matter of making it happen, and that part is only up to me. I mean really all it would take is 30 minutes to an hour to head to the gym, and since we have one here at our apartment I would just have to walk across the parking lot. There really is no excuse for not going over there. It is open 24/7 so I could go when Alexxa is asleep for the night, or in the morning.
Last night I started looking online at spring/summer clothes. I didn't have to really go through that torture last year, because I was pregnant, and well I never had a problem with maturnity clothes. They just always looked good on me! But this summer is going to be different. I will not be pregnant, and I would rather not sit around feeling sorry for myself not wanting to go to the pool and flat out refusing to put on shorts. I have always hated my legs. And does it seem like the shorts just keep getting shorter every year? I think they do! The last few years I have only wore capri pants or burmuda shorts because I have been sooooo self concious about my legs. Raynor is always encouraging that I look fine, but I dont listen lol! But this year, I am determined to wear real shorts and feel confident about myself. I'm definitely not saying I want to dress like a hoochie mama, but I would like to be able to wear real summer clothes and not feel terrible about it.
Anyways, here is what I am going to do. I am going to start out small, and easy. I am going to commit to going to the gym 5 days a week for no more than an hour. And I will start on something easy like the epliptical or the treadmill. I have always enjoyed the eliptical because I can go a long time on it without getting tired, and I think its a pretty good work out for your legs and theighs. As far as food goes, I'm just going to start eating healthier, and cutting down the amount that I would normally eat. You see, with me its more about portion control because I really can eat a lot if I want too! The other night I had 1 slice of pizza instead of my usual 3 and I was prefectly fine and no longer hungry. I will not totally give up the treats either. I don't think its wrong to treat yourself to some ice cream once a week, or some yummy popcorn at the movies. But there are also healthier options for treats too. I think frozen yogurt is delicious and its also WAY less calories.
Anyways, this is my commitment to myself. I know I can do it, and maybe for once in long time I will feel good about myself this summer! Go me!

2 comments:

  1. Good For you Erin!! I'm proud of you for making some goals for yourself. You will feel so much better. It's all about the pushing yourself and the motivation factor. Have Raynor be your second voice of reason and Cheerleader. Josh does that for me and it's wonderful. I would stress though Erin to not push yourself to much in the beginning with the work outs. An hour is a lot to handle in the beginning and I don't want you to set yourself up for misery if it ends up you have a hard time meeting that goal. But if you can do it, you go girl! I'm rooting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chels! I went on Saturday and Sunday. Once I get there I actually enjoy it, its just the getting there part ;)
    So far I've just started out with about 20 minutes on the eliptical and some stretches. I'll add some weights and strength training later. I can't wait to start fitting into all my old clothes again :)

    ReplyDelete