Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hair and Makeup

Anyone that has known me for a long time knows that I have always been a pretty girly person. From middle school on I would not leave the house without freshely applied makeup, nicely brushed hair, and a well put together matching outfit. Well for some reason in the last year or so, I have been letting this part of me go. I blame it when I went to work at US Bank. US bank made us wear these horrible ugly polo shirts that were not flattering on anyone along with black pants every day. That was our "uniform". It was like I just stopped caring after that point. I would wake up, take a shower, get dressed in my ugly "uniform" and throw my wet hair up into some kind of bun or ponytail and at best I would put on foundation, and maybe a little blush. I guess after that point I didn't feel like I had anyone to really impress. But it also impacted how I dressed on my personal time too. I traded my feminine blouses for Aeropostale t-shirts, my high heals for sneakers or flip flops, and I just never took the time to mess with my hair and make up. I think part of it was my sleep issues. I would have rather stayed in bed for an extra hour sleeping than spend that hour primping to go out.
Anyways this past week or so, for some reason I have decided to start primping a bit more. Maybe its my pregnancy hormones, I dont know. But I've been wearing eye liner and eye shadow, and I've actually been doing something to my hair for once. I have to say, it has boosted my confidence imensely! Yesterday, I had a baby shower. I didn't want to spend the money and a brand new outfit, well because I'm pregnant and I won't be for much longer therefore I really don't want to invest in more maturnity clothes. Even though Raynor and I will be having more children some day, it won't be for a while and if I get a choice in the matter I do not plan on being pregnant in the third trimester again during summer! Anyways, I got a little off track there. I went through my closet and decided on a pair of white burmuda shorts, and I found a pink and black silky sleeveless empire waisted shirt that I had never wore, and forgot I had! It isn't actually a maturnity top, but because of the way its cut out it fit perfectly. Then came the problem of what to do with my hair. I got a haircut a while back and have been beating myself up over it ever since, because I never know what to do with short hair. Anyways, I clipped my bangs back and sort of flipped the ends out with my flat iron. I did my makeup and put on a cute pair of pearl earings. I finished it off with a cute pair of pink peep toe wedges. Let me tell you, Raynor could not stop complimenting me yesterday! All day, he was telling me how pretty I looked and how much he liked my outfit. And I felt better about myself too. I definitely don't think life is all about looks and I don't think there is anything wrong with lazy days spent in t-shirts and old jeans or sweat pants. But yesterday motivated me to start doing my make up and hair again. It makes me feel so much better about myself.

2 comments:

  1. It's always been my motto to always look my best. It sounds really vain, I know...but I know for me, that if I don't spend that time on putting on my make up and doing my hair, I get a little depressed. Not in the I need drugs sort of way, but it puts me into a mood. I vowed that after I had Eden I would continue to make time for me because even though your exhausted when a new baby comes, it's important for you to look and feel good. It really helps with the Post Partum process...for me anyways. Josh would watch the girls while I took my shower and shaved my legs and did my hair and make up and even though I mostly stayed in bed the first week...I felt better knowing I looked better. It is definitely okay though to have those lazy lumps days. I have one once a week. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats my plan too. Its amazing how much better you feel when you take the extra time to make yourself look nice. I've actually read in my pregnancy books that it helps a lot with the post partum process if you shower, put on real clothes (other than pj's), some make up and do your hair. Makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete