Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stressful times...

Let me just start off by saying, I hate money. I really hate money. I know that sounds funny coming from someone who works with it all day long, but I hate it. Money complicates everything. Its ruins people, it ruins families, it ruins marriages. People get so caught up with how big their bank accounts are, and the things they have. Money drives people to do incredibly stupid things. I'm not saying I am a saint, I am just as caught up in meterialism as everyone else. I like nice things like designer purses, shoes, handbags, and sunglasses. I love adding cute things to my closet and watching it grow. And I would LOVE to have a shiney new car some day and a big beautiful house. But in the end does this make us happy? We certainly don't take it with us when we die.
I am on this rant because for the last 9 months (since I got pregnant) Raynor and I have been sooo excited about becoming parents and our little bundle of joy being in our arms soon. We can't wait to hear that first cry, see the first toothless smile, and whitness those wobbly first steps. We are stoked about the whole thing. We both know (some people keep reminding us) that babies are hard work. They are expensive. They wake up at night. We know this. But people have been getting through it since the beginning of time, and something just tells me that all those sweet little moments make it so worth it. It doesn't seem fair that our excitement is dulled sometimes because we are still not quite sure how this whole little adventure will play out financially. But I stress about it every day and so does he. Raynor wants so bad to be able to take care of his family and make enough money so I don't have to go back to work. It is very important to him to fullfill my wish to be a stay at home mom at least until our child is in school. But it isn't his fault that the job market sucks. The poor guy has been working 3 jobs since we found out we were expecting this baby back in February. On top of that he has been filling out applications and sending out resumes every spare second he gets. But there are so many qualified applicants out there that are unemployed. It is just so sad. But in my opinion it is our meterialistic, need to have everything, living above our means ways that has got America into this mess. As I stated above, I am just as guilty as the next guy.
Basically, we have a few months to make a decision. I get 12 weeks off with pay from the bank. I know those 3 months will fly by though. After that the paychecks will stop and we will have to decide if I will return to work or not. The other problem is with the amount of money I make, compared to the cost of child care we would almost just be turning dollars. The other option is finding someone that does childcare in their home to watch her, sometimes that is cheaper. I just don't trust anyone enough to do that. That may sound a little paranoid, but I personally know someone whos child was molested by the son of his babysitter. To me, that is a huge price to pay for keeping your job. Our other option is to try and work oposite shifts. One of us work while the other stays home with the baby. I can't help but think about the toll that would take on our relationship though. Raynor would work early, early mornings from 3am-9am and then I would work during the day. He would be exhausted, and I would barely get to see the baby because I would pretty much be coming home to put her to bed. So what is the easy solution? Just trust that it will all work itself out? I wish I knew...

2 comments:

  1. Relax, Take a deep breath and let it out. Did you do it? Do it NOW! :) Okay now smile. Run your hand over your beautiful belly and know that every worry you have is ultimately for your baby. Your blog is not you ranting about worrying about yourself, but your sitting here worrying about the future for your child. Obviously, I can't tell you to not worry to much, because you will and I've done the same thing as well. But trust that you guys are doing the right thing for right now. And you are. If you guys have to sweat it out in an apartment for awhile...oh well. Your baby will not care and when she comes, you won't care either. You'll be to excited seeing all she can be and do. The apartment was an example, just in case you thought I was bearing down on you, I'm not. I think, these hard times that most people in the world go through who are not celebrities are really such a blessing in disguise. I think it helps us to hopefully lower our standards and enjoy living within our means. Josh and I have just now gotten to this point...it took 6 years to get here, but now that were here...Josh and I are so much happier now that we've arrived. I even will go as far as to say our marriage is even better...I wondered how it could get better, because it was soooo amazing already, but it's even more incredible now... Money, does work itself out. The time you have with your baby...trust me...not for all the money in the world could even come close to comparing. Just ask Josh how he felt after going back to work after having the 2 months off with me and Eden. We both were so sure that he would get bored and eager to go back to work. Quite the opposite. I can honestly say, there were tears in his eyes as he left for work that first day back. Heehee. Anyways, Enjoy the time. What needs to be done will happen and you and Raynor just remember...Family First :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I was having a little freak out moment. And your totally right, what I am stressing about is wanting the best for our little sweetpea. It does give us comfort that some how people all over the world have been figuring this stuff out for a long time now, and I'm sure we will too. I think people are happier when we live within our means. Its true our apartment isn't the perfect home we have in our dreams. But it gives us something to work towards. If we had everything, we wouldn't have anything to dream about :) Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete